Wednesday, March 4, 2009

COME WITH ME TO THE ISLE OF WIGHT WHERE TROLLS HIDE UNDER BRIDGES TO FRIGHTEN THE BILLY GOATS GRUFF.


Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Butterworth Flying Cloud
Thankyou to the Isle of Wights; Island Pulse for the fine read on their beautiful Island. I came to a festivl there more years ago than I remember so I'm not saying who was on. But there was a lot of Moody Blues about that weekend.
Jigsaw PuzzleWhilst reading about the Troll Trail on the Isle of Wight, I was reminded of the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff, and although this is the elder version of Seligor's Castle and Diddilydeedot's Dreamland I think I am going to beg Writer's Right! and put it here where I am sure it must belong
. So for all the litle ones, get someone to read you this marvellous little story. I will not mention it to my daughter mind for when she was a toddler and she accompanied me to the Collage Creche way back in the seventies, I related this story almost every day as we crossed the little bridges. It was not till many years later that she confessed to me that I terrified the life out of her, as she thought Trolls must live under every bridge.
Need proof, go to Facebook and look up donz33, poor darling. The picture to the left is a jigsaw of a beautiful church and cottage, you can find out more about it at www.Island Pulse.com

And now for some thing a little different. This is a retelling of the tale from Norway. Not totally like I used to tell Donna, for my version had a Welsh accent, not Norweigen :)

Three Billy Goats Gruff http://blog.portlandstudios.com


folktales of Aarne-Thompson
type 122E translated and/or edited by




D. L. Ashliman
© 2000


Norway;




Once upon a time there were three billy goats, who were to go up to the
hillside to make themselves fat, and the name of all three was
"Gruff."


On the way up was a bridge over a cascading stream they had to cross;
and under the bridge lived a great ugly troll , with eyes as big as
saucers, and a nose as long as a poker.


So first of all came the youngest Billy Goat Gruff to cross the
bridge.


"Trip, trap, trip, trap! " went the bridge.


"Who's that tripping over my bridge?" roared the troll .


"Oh, it is only I, the tiniest Billy Goat Gruff , and I'm going up to
the hillside to make myself fat," said the billy goat, with such a small
voice.


"Now, I'm coming to gobble you up," said the troll.


"Oh, no! pray don't take me. I'm too little, that I am," said the billy
goat. "Wait a bit till the second Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much
bigger."


"Well, be off with you," said the troll.


A little while after came the second Billy Goat Gruff to cross the
bridge.


Trip, trap, trip, trap, trip, trap, went the bridge.


"Who's that tripping over my bridge?" roared the troll.


"Oh, it's the second Billy Goat Gruff , and I'm going up to the
hillside to make myself fat," said the billy goat, who hadn't such a small
voice.


"Now I'm coming to gobble you up," said the troll.


"Oh, no! Don't take me. Wait a little till the big Billy Goat Gruff
comes. He's much bigger."


"Very well! Be off with you," said the troll.


But just then up came the big Billy Goat Gruff .


Trip, trap, trip, trap, trip, trap! went the bridge, for the billy goat
was so heavy that the bridge creaked and groaned under him.


"Who's that tramping over my bridge?" roared the troll.


"It's I! The big Billy Goat Gruff ," said the billy goat, who had an
ugly hoarse voice of his own.


"Now I 'm coming to gobble you up," roared the troll.

Well, come along! I've got two spears,


And I'll poke your eyeballs out at your ears;


I've got besides two curling-stones,


And I'll crush you to bits, body and bones





That was what the big billy goat said. And then he flew at the troll,
and poked his eyes out with his horns, and crushed him to bits, body and
bones, and tossed him out into the cascade, and after that he went up to
the hillside. There the billy goats got so fat they were scarcely able to
walk home again. And if the fat hasn't fallen off them, why, they're still
fat; and so,





Snip, snap, snout.

This tale's told out.