Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Jester, A wonderful poem from the time when Assyria was the place where Kings and Jesters seemed to have graced the courts.



DR DO-DIDDILY AND THE DEE - DOT'S
Assyria


Thought to have been originally written in Neo-Assyrian, maybe Akkadian language, probably about 650BC . It is not know who wrote the script that is in the British Museum of The Jester.
These words are written in green.
The other verses where
Quoted in Benjamin Foster's, 'Before the Muses'   I found this information at the noodle bowl,  a wonderful website that deals with things all about Jesters,
 I offer my thanks to The Noodle Bowl:
  http://www.thenoodlebowl.com/jesters

 THE JESTER

"Jester, what can you do?"


[I can...] and sing laments,


I can squeeze out apple juice and brew beer.


"Jester, what can you do?"


I can snatch on the run pod-weeds from turnips, groats from stink-wort.


"Jester, what can you do?"


Of the whole exorcist's craft, nothing's beyond me.


"Jester, how do you exorcise?"


Here's how: I take over the haunted house, I set up the holy water,


I tie up the scape goat,


I skin a donkey and stuff it with straw.


I tie a bundle of reeds, set it on fire, and toss it inside.


I spared the boundaries of the house and its surroundings,


But the haunt of the house, the serpent, the scorpion, are not spared.


GAP

"In October what is your diet?"

Thou shalt dine on spoiled oil in onions,
and goose pluckings in porridge.


"In November what is your diet?"


Thou shalt dine on pod-weed in turnips,
 and 'cleanser-plant' in crowfoot


"In December what is your diet?"


Thou shalt dine on wild donkey dung in bitter garlic,


And emmer chaff in sour milk.


"In January what is your diet?"

Thou shalt dine on goose eggs and dung embedded in sand,

And cumin infused with Euphrates water in ghee.
"In February what is your diet?"
Thou shalt dine on hot bread and donkey's ass,
Stuffed with dog turds and fly dirt.