Friday, January 22, 2010

A little poem, in a little pocket, from Japan - to Japan

 Dr. Do-Diddily and the Dee Dot's
SMALL BUT BEAUTIFUL
HAIKU

andon no   
susuke zo samuki  
 yuki no kure


The night-light is smoke stained,
Snow falls chill
                                                    Through the dusk.

Etsujin 1656?-1739




yuku toshi ya!

          oya ni shiraga wo

        kakushi keri


       
the departing year:

          from my parents I have kept

          my grey hair hidden


       
etsujin



Aki no kure

         
hi ya tomosan to

        toi ni kuru


       
autumn evening

          she comes and asks

"shall I light the lamp?"


       
Etsujin







only a chirping insect

          told me it was night

          so bright was the moon
       


       
Etsujin




Haiku is a major type of Japanese poetry. Haiku was previously called
'hokku', but given its current name by Masaoka Shiki at the end of the
19th century. The name was suggested as an abbreviation of the phrase
"haikai no ku" meaning a verse of haikai.


            These Beautiful Pictures and the Haiku , I owe my thanks to the
            http://thegreenleaf.co.uk/HP/ Japanese_Masters
/